Over a decade ago, HR managers would frown upon rehiring employees who left an organization and want to return after a period of time to the same former employer. However, today our MZN Management team understands how the recruiting trend is to embrace these employees with open arms. Boomerang employees, also referred to as comeback kids, are employees who leave a company, without burning bridges, only to make a jubilant return. The reasons vary from taking a break, to family, life transition, return to education or simply career development outside the organization.
In a study done by Kronos and Workplace Trends, more than 1,800 HR professionals, managers and employees were surveyed. The results revealed nearly 76% of managers said they’re more accepting of hiring former employees than they were previously. What was also very interesting is that employees surveyed stated that they are less anxious about returning to a former place of work because employees know what to expect and understand the company culture. Social media has made it incredibly easy for employers to follow former employees and keep open the communication line open for future possibilities.
The Top 5 Recruiting Advantages for Boomerang Hiring
- Easier and less ramp up time with training.
- Increased trust and loyalty in the relationship between employer and former employee.
- Extremely cost-effective for the company to bring back a former employer who is already familiar with the organizations software systems, company policies, and culture.
- Boomerang employees are a huge testimonial for your recruiting and retention efforts because they provide evidence that the former employee respects your organization so much that they want to return.
- The comeback kids also generate great PR for the organization through company newsletters and social media platforms.