The term “temp-to-perm” describes a temporary employment position that could lead to a permanent job. Not only has this hiring model become increasingly common, it’s an arrangement now found across many industries and at all position levels, according to the Holmes Report.
In a temp-to-perm arrangement, an employer hires a candidate for a set length of time; for example, three months. Towards the end of the predetermined period, the employer has three options:
- Offer the candidate a permanent position
- Renew or renegotiate the temporary contract for the same or different length of time
- Discontinue any further employment arrangement with the candidate
While both parties – employer and candidate – may benefit from the opportunity to test the waters before committing to a permanent position, the benefits differ significantly for each side of the work relationship. To help you decide whether temp-to-perm is right for you, we’ll take a deeper dive into key advantages from both perspectives.
Advantages for the Employer
Is your company frequently seeking new talent and struggling to find quality candidates who are fully committed to their jobs? Are you unsure whether your need for additional team members is seasonal or year-round, one-time or ongoing, part-time or full-time?
If these issues describe your current situation, here are key reasons why a temp-to-perm hire may be the answer to your current employment challenges:
- You can assess a candidate’s skills and abilities in real-life working conditions
- You’ll get to know the candidate’s personality and character on a daily basis to ensure a good fit
- You may avoid wrongful termination and unemployment claims if hiring needs change
- You can reduce costs because you aren’t required to give benefits to temporary employees
Advantages for the Candidate
If you’ve been job hunting for some time, Motley Fool blogger Maury Backman suggests a temp job is a great way to get a foot in the door and position yourself for full-time employment. His strategic tips on how to turn a temp position into a permanent job can help you make the most of your temp-to-perm opportunity.
Other key advantages of a temp-to-permanent position include:
- You can enhance your resume or portfolio with new achievements
- You may acquire new skills and relevant job experience
- You can try out different fields on a short-term basis if you are unsure of your career path
MZN Management specializes in recruiting top talent to fill our clients’ needs. If you’re an employer seeking highly qualified candidates to fill an opening, click here to learn more about our temp-to-permanent employment services, or contact us directly to start your search for the ideal candidate.
If you’re a job seeker looking for a temp-to-perm or direct hire position, click here to learn how MZN Management can help you get hired!
- Read more about temp-to-perm employment: https://www.wonolo.com/blog/what-is-temp-to-hire/
- For employers
- For job seekers